At the age of 17 Georg Muche left his home town Querfurt to study at the art school of Anton Azbé in Munich. Already one year later, 1914, he went to Berlin. There he came in contact with Herwarth Walden, who had founded the art journal (1910) and the gallery (1912) 'Der Sturm'. 1916 an own art college was added and Georg Muche was an art teacher at this school until 1919. 1917/18 he was called up and served on the Western Front.
Already in 1915, influenced by Kandinsky and Max Ernst, Muche started to paint un-representationally and so he became one of the first representatives of abstract art in Germany. After World War First he got in contact with members of the November Group and the Dadaism.
1920 he was appointed by Walter Gropius to work as a teacher in Weimar and so a prolific period at the Bauhaus in Weimar and Dessau began, which lasted seven years. Muche was master of the classes of the wood-sculptors and of the weavers. For the new buildings in Dessau he designed, together with his student Richard Paulick, the 'Stahlhaus Dessau'.
Our etching he made 1921 - at the beginning of his time in Weimar and still during his 'abstract period'. After 1922 he started to turn away from pure abstract art to come into a more figurative and organic style, which led him to a lyric surrealism. Our picture is dedicated as "für Fräulein R. Citroen", who was the sister of Paul Citroen (1896-1983), a Dutch photographer, painter and graphic artist, who was acquainted with Muche during his time at the Bauhaus.
1927 Muche moved to Berlin again. There he became a teacher at the newly founded art school of J. Itten. From 1931 he was professor at the academy of art in Breslau, until 1933 when he was dismissed by the National Socialists. Then - once again - he became a teacher in Berlin, this time at the private art school 'Kunst und Werk' of Hugo Häring. Here he mainly was busy with fresco wall-paintings.
1939 he founded a master class for textile art at the technical college in Krefeld and he was its head teacher until 1958. From 1944 to 1949 he made the fresco wall-paintings for the house of the silk industry in Krefeld. 1955 he participated the first documenta in Kassel.
1960 he moved to Lindau at Lake Constance, where he lived as a free painter and graphic artist for many years. 1963 he became a honorary member of the Villa Massimo in Rome ('Accademia Tedesca Roma Villa Massimo'). At the same year an exhibition was organized for him at the 'Mannheim Kunstverein'. 1974 a retrospective was shown at the National Gallery Berlin and 1977 / 1986 his works of art could be seen in Stuttgart and Kassel. 1979 the city of Regensburg awarded him the Lovis-Corinth-Prize.